Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

By Mary Ann Shaffer
and Annie Barrows



Ordinarily, a book about a post-World War II German occupied island would not bring a smile to one's face. However, Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows have woven a tale that would make any shrew smile. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" is simply a splendid book. Since it is an epistolary novel, it is a quick and fun read that is easy to leave off and pick up again.

Juliet Ashton is a writer in London in 1946. She has a quick wit and possibly a short temper, though maybe it is more a case of being misunderstood. At any rate, Juliet is searching for her next great book idea (and searching for her true self) when she receives a letter from a man named Dawsey from Guernsey. He has no idea she is a writer but he has seen her name inscribed in the jacket of his favorite book by Charles Lamb, his favorite author. Dawsey is searching for more books by Charles Lamb, and as he has been living in German-occupied Guernsey, he has few ties to the "outside world."

In agreeing to help Dawsey procure more books, Juliet becomes a penpal to not only him but his friends in Guernsey. She is intrigued by the literary society they formed while occupied by the Germans and eventually writes an article about them for the newspaper. Juliet's friendships develop with them and before long, she makes a visit to Guernsey. What she discovers there are answers to the many questions that have burdened her.

In sitting down to read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," the reader is drawn immediately to Juliet's humor and her ease of deeply loving those who are important in her life. In her first letter to Sidney, her publisher, the reader can feel the love and the lighthearted approach she has to life.

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder. We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, much more more thrilling from my standpoint was the food. Susan managed to procure ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue. If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring about the country. Do you suppose that a livish bonus could spur her on to butter? Let's try it--- you may deduct the money from my royalties.

Now for the grim news. You asked me how work on my new book is progressing. Sidney, it isn't.

English Foibles seemed so promising at first. After all, one should be able to write reams about the Society to Protest the Glorification of the English Bunny. I unearthed a photograph of the Vermin Exterminators' Trade Union, marching down an Oxford street with placards screaming "Down with Beatrix Potter!" But what is there to write about after a caption? Nothing, that's what.

I no longer want to write this book--- my head and my heart just aren't in it. Dear as Izzy Bickerstaff is--- and was--- to me, I don't want to write anything else under that name. I don't want to be considered a light-hearted journalist anymore. I do acknowledge that making readers laugh--- or at least chuckle--- during the war was no mean feat, but I don't want to do it anymore. I can't seem to dredge up any sense of proportion or balance these days, and God knows one cannot write humor without them.

In the meantime, I am very happy Stephens & Stark is making money on Izzy Bickerstaff Goes to War. It relieves my conscience over the debacle of my Anne Bronte biography.


My thanks for everything and love,
Juliet


P.S. I am reading the collected correspondence of Mrs. Montagu. Do you know what that dismal woman wrote to Jane Carlyle? "My dear little Jane, everybody is born with a vocation, and yours is to write charming little notes." I hope Jane spat on her.

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" is a smartly written book. It was purely a joy to read a novel that presents facts in such a low-key manner. The reader learns so much about each character through subtly injected information in each letter. It is a relief to not be hit over the head with plot points and details.

Much praise is due to the writing team of Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Their story was delightfully fulfilling and should be at the very top of every reader's or book club's list.

No comments: